Find out more about white wine varieties.
In general the taste of white wine varieties is rich and full-bodied with soft flavor with many shades but what is called a “bouquet” of the wine depends precisely on the variety of grapes and the conditions of its cultivation.
White wine whose color can be straw-yellow, yellow-green, or yellow-gold colored is made from white, red or pink grapes in the fermentation conditions in the absence of grape skin, because pulp of grapes is non-colored. But the white grapes is the base of white wine varieties, especially the pure ones. Hence, varieties of white wine is greater than red because to produce white wine, in addition to white juice, winemakers use the juice of red and black berries.
From large varieties of white wine will consider only the pure ones.
Most popular and well-known white wine varieties are:
- Chardonnay – the most common and well known variety with fruits, dry, crispy, buttery, citrus flavors. Pairing well with chicken, white-fleshed fish, pork, veal, legumes. winter squash, corn and nuts.
- Sauvignon – with tart lemon, herbs, grapefruit, melon, and tropical tastes. This type of white wine goes well with green vegetables, salads, oysters, delicate fish, fresh herbs, seafood.
- Riesling with sweet citrus, green apple, and lime flavors. Pairing with shellfish, pork, ham, salads and vegetables, egg dishes.
- Moscato (Muscat)is high in acidity with orange blossoms. Many countries, including Moldova produce muscats. Has sweet flavors of peach, orange blossom and nectarine. Due to its taste and flavor is preferable with light or mild fruit or creamy desserts, blue or cheddar cheese. Perfect aperitif
- Gewürztraminer has allspice, lychee, peach and rose aroma with fruity flavor. Can be served along with the Asian food and sausages.
- Pinot Gris (Grigio) yellow to copper-pink in color with mid-level acidity, and pear, lemon, melon, sweet spice flavors. Good with richer fish, shellfish,chicken, pasta, fresh herbs, Mild Asian dishes.